Your support and contributions will enable us to provide free education, referral, wellness, & support to people with Parkinson's and their Care Partners in the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City area.
Many of us are excited to return to in-person programs. At the time of writing this, less than half of Iowans are vaccinated, COVID variants are spreading rapidly, and testing is down. Although we had planned to reopen under different circumstances, we will reopen and resume many in-person events as of August 2, 2021 with the following guidelines:
● Registration will be required for those who plan to attend an event or class in-person. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text 319-361-7673 to register. If space is not available, you will be added to the waitlist. You may register for individual classes through Google Forms.
You DO NOT need to register if you will be attending via Zoom.
● Masks WILL BE REQUIRED at this time when 6-feet of space is not able to be maintained. This is due to the low percentage of unvaccinated in Iowa and the rapid spread of COVID variants. If you have been to physician appointments or therapy appointments, masks are required. They will be required in classes when 6-feet of space is not able to be maintained. The safety and health of ALL participants is priority.
● Please STAY HOME if you have a cough or flu-like symptoms. If cough is PD related, please cover your cough with a mask.
● Please sanitize your hands before and after classes.
● Classes will be held at the 33rd Ave studio (260 33rd Ave SW) and capacity will be limited to 10-12 participants.
● Exercise classes are limited to person with PD at this time, unless care partner is required for assistance. If space is available, care partner may participate.
● Programs will be offered in a hybrid model where you can choose to join in-person or via Zoom.
● Food and beverages will not be provided at events at this time. However, you are encouraged to bring your own water bottle to classes.
● Classes will be scheduled in sessions. Session 1 will run August 2nd-September 3rd. The next session, Session 2, will begin September 7th. There will be no classes on Labor Day.
These guidelines are subject to change based on federal, local and hospital recommendations as well as virus and vaccine rates.
*Please get the COVID vaccine if you haven't for the safety of our community and to stop the spread. Children under 12 are not eligible for the vaccine, placing them at high risk for the virus when exposed to those who are not vaccinated. The vaccine is safe. Risks from COVID outweigh any side effects of the vaccine. Please visit the Linn County or Johnson County Public Health websites for trusted, local information.
Thank you for keeping our community safe and healthy!
The Cedar Rapids Parkinson's Support Group was started in 2006 by a group of volunteers who had been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease to connect and support one another. The group has grown over the years, adding exercise and wellness programs. In 2017, the Cedar Rapids Metro Parkinson's Association was founded as a non-profit 501c3.
Providing free education, referral, wellness, & support to People With Parkinson's and their Care Partners in the Cedar Rapids, Iowa area.
We are stronger together as we move toward a cure.